Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Cracked Hands

Not a 90-year-old's hands. Mine.
Generalizations exist because they are true in some cases: Take the caricature of the OCD-hand-washer.

Not everyone with OCD is afraid of germs or contamination and washes their hands too much... but some of us do.  Unfortunately, lately I myself have fallen into the hand washing trap more.


This is especially annoying because one of my early symptoms of OCD was excessive hand washing.  I still remember this time I was watching SpongeBob and kept having to get up and wash my hands because I touched the floor.  It happened enough during one episode that it was an "aha moment" making me realize I had a problem.

Hand washing issues can take different forms.  Even after I stopped washing my hands too often, I struggled more with washing them too long when I got started.  How much soap is enough?  How long is enough?  With my OCD, if I go by what feels "right," I am often over-washing.

I have actually been doing relatively well for a long time with it, but now living in a new house with more cleaning responsibilities has somewhat reignited my hand washing and excessive cleaning proclivities.

When I clean dishes, I always want to wash my hands before and after...  Having new puppies means more messes and more hand washing...  I also probably wash my hands too often during the process of cooking because I worry about contamination (My mom's fear of raw chicken has become well instilled in me after many years).

My issues make me dread situations where I know I will have to wash my hands.  I'm very fortunate that I am still pretty under control, but I hate having to worry about how much soap it will take or how long it will take to feel clean.  Notice the choice of words: it is not about being clean as much as the feeling of being clean.  It becomes about cleaning until you know you won't feel anxious about it.

With the washing and the colder weather coming in, my hands look horrifying.  They hurt and I hate looking at them, but they are also an important reminder that my work is not finished.  Sometimes the OCD tendencies you feel are behind you crawl back.  In some ways this is a tragedy, but getting down on yourself for slipping up doesn't help.

Wherever you find yourself, you just need to keep moving forward.  The battles you fought before can be won again.  

Oh, and moisturizer can help too!

7 comments:

  1. I am Maris, and i am here on this site to give thanks to Dr.Agbazara for the good work he did in getting my relationship back on track. Myself and my lover had some dispute which lead to our break up. But through the help of Dr.Agbazara i was able to get her back within 48 hours for this reason i will be dropping the contact information of Dr.Agbazara on this site for those that need his help to contact him on Whatsapp via ( +2348104102662 ) or email: ( agbazara@gmail.com )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has honestly been so much of a comfort to read, you have no idea. I didn't realise how much seeing a fellow OCD sufferer's cracked, red hands would help me, nor reading about someone else's fear of raw chicken. I can't put it into words but, somehow, this article was a great help, so thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it helped you, June! I am currently watching my husband defrost raw chicken right now and it comforts me to know that someone out there would also be feeling my discomfort at its mere presence nearby. :-P Hope you are well!

      Delete
  3. I completely understand what you're going through...especially now with Covid my hand washing has gotten a lot worse. I'm currently a college student, 3rd year of undergrad, and living on campus this semester has been hard. I have a dog who also stays on campus with me and while I love her being with me, she's goofy and loves to tear up the trash whenever she gets the chance... which of course I have to clean up. Plus everytime I come in from walking her (regardless of whether or not I have come into contact with anyone) I feel compelled to wash my hands. Over the winter months the cracking got really bad- at times the skin would get so dry I couldn't fully close them... which was really uncomfy and painful. Luckily the weather is getting nicer now so my hands aren't suffering as much. Today however, one of my friends made a comment about my hands calling them "grandma hands". I know it sounds a bit cliché, but reading this post helped me not feel as alone. I don't know anyone irl who struggles with compulsive hand washing, so the thought that things can get better and my hands aren't ugly or gross but they're reminders of the work I still need to do is incredibly encouraging. Thank you so much for sharing this, you honestly made my day loads better! <3 -Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't checked in for awhile, so I apologize for the delayed reply, but I'm glad to hear this helped you feel less alone. You certainly aren't! I think with COVID people who had never gone through it before started to experience some more of the OCD fears that some of us have had for years. I'm glad the warmer weather is helping... I hope it's also helping your mood! Keep up the good fight, Grace! :)

      Delete
  4. Nice post. Well, what can I say is that these is an interesting and very informative topic on OCD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill. I hope you are having a good start to the new year!

      Delete