Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Another Year

Let us eat cake!
Last Wednesday was my 27th birthday.  It also marks approximately 8 years since the worst OCD breakdown of my life.

Right before college, when I was about to turn 19, I just lost it.  I couldn't function because the fear from OCD and anxiety was so great.  I thought the intrusive thoughts would never stop. 

I had suicidal ideation - which for those of you outside the psychology world "is a term used by mental health professions to describe suicidal thoughts and feelings (without suicidal actions)." (This definition is from Natalie Staats Reiss, Ph.D. and Mark Dombeck, Ph.D.'s article "Defining Suicide", an interesting read for more information on different aspects of suicide.)  

I was worried that I would feel that way forever.  I didn't think I could handle it for the rest of my life.  

But things got better. 

I got help and have been slowly making progress for years.  I've had my ups and downs, and some of the problems and fears from the past still plague me, but I have better tools to deal with them now.  

So today I feel the triumph of living another year, fighting another day.  Hopefully 27 will be the best year yet.

10 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Here's to a year with more ups than downs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to one of my favorite bloggers :) you are an inspiring soul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) Hope you are enjoying your summer!

      Delete
  3. Belated birthday wishes, Laura! An inspiring post, to be sure. I'm so glad things improved for you -- and I'm glad you are part of my extended family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am glad you are a part of mine. :) Hope to see you soon.

      Delete
  4. Happy belated birthday. So glad you are making progress in managing suicide ideation and in managing your OCD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Hope you are enjoying your summer. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi,
    and happy birthday, i know it's a lil late
    Congrats..
    1989 too here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Never too late. 1989 was a good year. :)

      Delete