Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Frosty and Anxiety

Cold but lovely.
The holiday season is in full swing!

As the new year approaches, it is a time for reflection on the past and planning for the future.  This can be a huge source of stress for some.

What does the future hold?  What will the new year bring?  If you have anxiety, it is easy to worry about the bad things that might happen.

This is where we can all learn a lesson from a well-loved holiday icon: Frosty the Snowman.

So, we have all heard the song about Frosty, a snowman who came to life for a day when a magic hat was placed on his head. However, what makes him an inspirational figure is not his magical transformation to living being from inanimate object.  It's his attitude about life.

For me, this is the most meaningful part of his story:

"Frosty the Snowman knew the sun was hot that day,
so he said let's run and we'll have some fun now before I melt away."

Frosty was aware that his time was fleeting.  Instead of worrying about his impending end, he seized the day and lived in the moment.  He didn't waste the time that he had worrying.  He lived that day triumphantly spreading joy to those around him.

This is something that I admire and want to learn.  Rather than spend my time suffering, mulling over whatever catastrophe I think or know is coming, I need to live in the moment and enjoy what I have.

So, if you're like me and you let anxiety get the best of you more often than you'd care to admit in 2016... let's make a deal.  We will continue to try.  We will fight our inclinations toward negativity and work towards more positive thinking.  We will be more like Frosty.

Let's make 2017 our best year yet.

6 comments:

  1. I am going to try to be more like Frosty, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck to you and wishes for a joyous new year! :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, Laura. And my wish for you and for all of us! Enjoy before we melt away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Happy Holidays to you and yours and a wonderful new year. :)

      Delete
  3. I love how you found inspiration in one of my favorite Christmas stories :)

    I hope you have a most wonderful Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope that you have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :)

      Delete