Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Indirect Coronavirus Fears

Please let me go to the one place
I can thrive in a fanny pack.
So, I saw someone posted an article about OCD and the Coronavirus panic.  Obviously for anyone with health related OCD worries, this is a nightmare.  Germs! Contagion! Death! The media is constantly fanning the flames of fear that these people are already very capable of fanning on their own. 

But I'm not a person with health related OCD.  I am 30 years old and in good health.  I survived a bout with the flu a couple weeks ago!  I live by multiple world class hospital systems (Go Cleveland!) and am lucky enough to have good insurance should I need care.  If I get the Coronavirus, I have a feeling I'll be in the 97% that make it.

Does this mean that my OCD isn't getting exacerbated by this pandemic scare?

Of course not!

Even though I am not worried about personally dying from Coronavirus, as someone with OCD and anxiety, there are many indirect ways I am panicking about Coronavirus.

The main issue is that at the end of April, my parents have planned a beautiful trip to Disney World and Universal Studios.  It will be my husband's first time there.  It will be my last time there as a free adult before I try to start a family of my own.  We have meals planned and every day charted out for maximum enjoyment.

What if we get sick and can't go?  What if the virus causes them to shut down the park?  

Now, I recognize that it is super bratty and privileged when people are dying to worry about your vacation.  But before you write me off as the most selfish person on the planet, please also know that an additional fear that I have is that I will get Coronavirus and then infect someone else who then dies because of me.

I'm already worrying about how I will be worrying right before the vacation about getting sick.  Again, I am not worried about personally dying from this, and I'm not normally someone who lets a little cold stop me from doing what I normally do... but because of this virus scare I know if I have any little cough or throat scratch, I will start catastrophizing.   Any possible sign that I have caught Coronavirus will send me in a tailspin wondering if I should stay home to save the immunocompromised from my infection.

I have been doing what any unstable worrier does in 2020 and have been googling terms from "Coronavirus" and "Coronavirus Florida" to "Coronavirus Disney."  Of course, there are no good answers, and there isn't any way to know how things play out over the next few weeks.  

I am going to have to fight my nature not to get sucked into the media's panic and just try to look forward to the trip.  Now will just be a chance to practice that serenity prayer and accept the things I cannot change.  As they say, "Que sera sera."

4 comments:

  1. Que sera, sera is a great way to look at life. No one knows what tomorrow will bring. Carry on as though you ARE going to go. Plan accordingly. So many times these "flu" scares (such as swine flu, avian flu) have hit the country and panic ensued and then.....Disney remained open, people went and had fun. As you will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get it, Laura. I just did a post on being prepared for coronavirus. It freaks me out and I'm avoiding crowds and doing my best to keep the hand sanitizer companies in business! We'll be traveling soon too, Rick to a trade show; me to visit a friend in Canada. I'm worried about Rick meeting and being in close contact with so many strangers. And bringing home something. I don't usually get this wacky about stuff but this one is bothering me. Sending good wishes to the whole family for a successful, healthy trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see from your blog post you have quite a good stash going to prepare! (I also like Bigelow tea!) I can see why this is much more serious for you as someone with lung issues. The media is not helping anyone with a tendency to panic either! All we can do is take it a day at a time and make sure we are keeping up to date. It's good that you are staying informed and doing your best to stay healthy. Thanks for the good wishes and right back to you and your family for your upcoming travels! <3

      Delete