Tuesday, July 9, 2019

The Reality of 13 Going on 30

When the Jennifer Garner movie 13 Going On 30 came out in 2004, I was 15.  The premise
Me at 13 at my Bat Mitzvah.
was fun and fantastical:  A 13-year-old girl wakes up one day as her 30-year-old self as if by magic.  She then has to figure out how to be 30.  Many jokes stem from her floundering about, feeling like she has no idea what she's doing.


Seeing it in theaters as a teenager was fun, but rewatching it recently, it didn't seem like such a fantasy movie after all.  I turn 30 on Saturday, and it kind of feels like I was a teenager yesterday, blinked and woke up like this.

Looking back on the past seventeen years, so many things are still the same...

  • I'm still struggling with many of the same obsessive fears.
  • I still want to turn to an adult for answers to like 95% of questions.
  • I still doubt myself and feel like I have no idea what I'm doing basically ever.
  • I still have not mastered eyeliner.
I don't feel like an adult.  I'm about to be 30... shouldn't I feel more together?  Shouldn't I feel more competent?  

At the same time, when I talked with some 20-year-olds the other day, I felt 500 years old.  It feels like being stuck in-between where I was and where I should be.

Time feels like it's racing faster than I can keep up.  My mom tells me to "make the most of what your life brings" and "enjoy your life," but this is sometimes easier said than done.  I'm an emotional mess a lot of the time now!  I see the path to sentimental old lady: each day I feel one step closer to becoming my great grandmother who cried at greeting cards.  

Getting older can make anyone existential, and with OCD and anxiety it can be especially hard not to focus on fear until it poisons the happy moments (Jennifer Scinto writes beautifully about this in an article for The Mighty).  As far as goals for my 30s, I hope to find more inner peace.  I hope to do a better job of actually applying suggestions from therapy even when it's hard or daunting.  I hope to spend less time worrying and complaining and more time finding joy in my day-to-day.  

Sometimes, when I think about my birthday, I feel overwhelmed and like crying.  But, as my dad has reminded me, getting older certainly beats the alternative.  For anyone freaking out about aging, I feel the most empowered when I embrace it with pride.  The years of life experience have value and there's no need to shy away from them.

I've been putting off starting the gratitude journal my therapist recommended, but I know there is so much to be grateful for: I have a husband who understands and supports me.  I have wonderful family and friends.  Even if I can no longer drink without a hangover, I can still walk and swim and play with my puppies.  So this Saturday, I hope to put on a dress and my birthday crown and smile.  




5 comments:

  1. I used to spend most birthdays worrying about getting older. I spent too much time thinking about the passage of time. Finally, maybe due to the cancer, I started thinking that it was more important to enjoy every day as it happens and NOT worry about what may or may not happen in the future! I realize this is easy to say but difficult to do; it took me a long time to really start to appreciate my birthdays and the fun they brought. This was actually true of many other things as well. I would look forward to an event, and then spend the whole event thinking about how it was almost over. I had to re-frame my thoughts to enjoy the moment and then look FORWARD to the next thing because there is always something to look forward to.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cancer would certainly be a perspective changer. Learning to reframe is important... I feel like in so many ways we are the stories we tell ourselves. Looking forward to spending more time having fun with you and the family. :)

      Delete
  2. I hope your birthday was great, Laura! I'm sorry I missed it. I love my gratitude journal -- sometimes it's just silly (a great parking place on a bad-feet day!) Sometimes it's pretty down deep. Fact, is, every day matters. I know -- that future seems big and scary sometimes. But you figure it out as you go along. Sharon is right about cancer changing perspective but lots of things do -- loss of friends unexpectedly can jump start one into a "if them, why not me?" And that doesn't have to be a scary thought when you use it productively and live with joy. You nailed a bunch of your gratitudes -- keep going. And by the way, this is a beautiful piece, very well written. Hat's off to a new year. (Hope to see you this weekend!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a perfect birthday. You are right that every day matters... it's like Jack Dawson said in Titanic, "I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... to make each day count.” Hope to see you this weekend too!! :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete